Monday, January 24, 2011

My Weekend

I had some pretty good days this past weekend.

Friday night I went to Finn & Porter for DC's Restaurant Week. It's a great time to eat super fly food at a super fly price. I wish RW was every week.
Friday was also my roommate's birthday. We celebrated at Wisdom Lounge in Capitol Hill with the funkiest drinks. They had jalapeno-infused rum, absinthe, and little rooms sectioned off with curtains and private radios. Pretty nice, but our waitress was annoyed by all the people we brought.

The birthday party.

Saturday morning I took Mokey to Lincoln Park. It was freezing but there were two or three other dogs that made it outside. In fact, we met a HUGE Great Dane! It was obvious that Mokey is part Great Dane after seeing them both play.

Afterwards, we picked up lunch in Eastern Market. For the last three weeks, there has been a barbeque vendor offering delicious brisket, ribs, and pulled pork. He only caters or does farmer's markets. He's there every Saturday and Sunday! Harry got a full rack of ribs and I got a brisket sandwich. Mmmmm. Haven't had barbeque that good anywhere else other than Texas.

That afternoon, I went to the US Botanical Gardens. I've never been before, but what better time to visit than on a cold winter day? It only takes about 45min to walk through the huge green house and it's free!

The view from the canopy.

I've been using temporary 2-week visitor passes to park on the streets of DC for the last 5 months. Well, the city is on to me and they threatened to impound Baby Jeep if I don't register with DC... So I picked up a DC Driver's License. I'm officially a DC resident! Which makes sense... I've lived in DC longer than I've lived in Texas. I still need to register my car, but I'm waiting for my title to come in from Texas, until then, Baby Jeep is in hiding in a garage.

I ended the day with a long nap, babysitting, and a Georgetown house party. It was a great night and it's been a long time since I've been that inebriated. I had my dancing shoes on and an Asian flush.

On Sunday, I had lunch with Harry at Furin's and then went back to sleep... I decided I was being too lazy compared to all the school work and errands Harry had to do, so I went grocery shopping and made chili and cornbread that night. It was the most delicious batch I've made to date and I used some jalapeno-infused olive oil for the cornbread... sooo delicious!

Big Pot of Chili-Updated
few strips of bacon
half a red onion
bag of frozen roasted corn
three cloves of garlic
half a jalapeno
3 lbs of ground beef
2 cans of 28 oz. peeled, whole tomatos
1 can of 8 oz. tomato sauce
6 tablespoons of chili powder
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of oregano
1 tablespoon of paprika
2 tablespoons red chili pepper

Cook bacon and set aside. Saute chopped red onion, roasted corn, minced garlic, and thinly sliced jalapeno in a little bit of bacon grease. Brown beef and add crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir in seasoning, everything that was sauteed, and crumbled bacon and bring to a boil. Stir a few times and simmer for a few hours... the longer, the better!

We ate the chili with crushed corn chips, cheese, sour cream, and some cornbread. It was the perfect meal for a cold day. Harry watched the Jets/Steelers game with his boys and I watched Shameless with some girls. By the way, start watching the show! Lots of shamelessness, so very entertaining.

Anyway, longer than usual post but I just wanted to share my weekend because I had a great time. Didn't do or see anything too fancy, but I definitely appreciate the simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment